- March 03, 2015: Girl, 14, forced into week of sex work at downtown hotel - human trafficking - Yahoo News Search Results
Three people have been charged with human trafficking after Toronto police rescued a 14-year-old girl who they said was forced into sex work at a downtown hotel. Police said security staff responded to a noise complaint in a hotel room in the Bay Street and Dundas Street West area last Friday night. The teen told police she had been invited to the hotel by the three accused, and was then held in ...
- February 28, 2015: To stop human trade, Malaysia needs new protection system, UN rapporteur says - human trafficking - Yahoo News Search Results
KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 28 — A United Nations (UN) special rapporteur has found Malaysia’s anti-people smuggling efforts lacking, and suggested that Putrajaya formulate a more comprehensive protection...
- February 26, 2015: NHRC notice to Delhi Police chief over placement agencies - human trafficking - Yahoo News Search Results
New Delhi, Feb 26 (IANS) Apex human rights panel, the NHRC has sought a report from Delhi Police Commissioner B.S. Bassi over steps taken to keep a check on the mushrooming placement agencies which are the "hubs and transit point for human trafficking". Taking suo motu cognizance of a media report that surging demand for domestic help in Delhi is encouraging human trafficking by unregulated ...
- February 26, 2015: Human trafficking: NHRC seeks report about placement agencies - human trafficking - Yahoo News Search Results
New Delhi, Feb. 26 (ANI): The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has issued a notice to Delhi Police Commissioner B.S. Bassi to respond within two weeks about placement agencies which provide domestic help in the national capital. The NHRC has taken suo motu cognizance of a media report that the surging demand for domestic help is fuelling a business that thrives on human trafficking by ...
- February 23, 2015: Malaysia committed to fight human trafficking: Zahid Hamidi - human trafficking - Yahoo News Search Results
PUTRAJAYA: Malaysia has never slackened its efforts to combat human trafficking at its shore using every means possible as provided by relevant laws. Home Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi stressed this to United Nations' special Rapporteur on Trafficking in Persons Especially Women and Children Maria Grazia Giammarinaro during a meeting today. "The issue of human trafficking in fact has ...
- February 13, 2015: Business can break slavery chains - The CNN Freedom Project: Ending Modern-Day Slavery
Editor’s Note: Tammy Lee Stanoch is the Vice President of Corporate Affairs at Carlson. She has more than a decade of executive leadership experience in the airline and travel industry. The opinions expressed are her own. I have an 11-year-old daughter and, as a mother, would risk everything to keep her safe. So today, I shuddered to […]
- January 30, 2015: Crowd sourcing to fight human trafficking - The CNN Freedom Project: Ending Modern-Day Slavery
By Leif Coorlim A van and a set of benches. In the global fight to end human trafficking, they are probably not the first weapons that come to mind. But on the ground in places like Cambodia and India, anti-trafficking advocates say these are tools are at the top of their wish lists. “We have over 350 […]
- November 19, 2014: Q&A with Sanjay Rawal, director of Food Chains - The CNN Freedom Project: Ending Modern-Day Slavery
Food Chains, a documentary that examines the plight of farm laborers in the U.S., releases to the American public on Friday. CNN asked its director, Sanjay Rawal, about the movie and how it came to be made. CNN: How did you come to learn about this issue, and why did you decide a film needed […]
- November 18, 2014: Fight for freedom on U.S. farms documented by Food Chains movie - The CNN Freedom Project: Ending Modern-Day Slavery
Do you care about who grows your food - and in what conditions these farm laborers work? A new movie called Food Chains releases in the U.S. on Friday. The documentary, produced by actress Eva Longoria and narrated by Oscar winner Forest Whitaker, examines working conditions for laborers harvesting tomatoes in Immokalee, Florida, and grapes […]
- November 05, 2014: ISIS says Islam justifies slavery - what does Islamic law say? - The CNN Freedom Project: Ending Modern-Day Slavery
Professor Bernard Freamon teaches courses on modern-day slavery and human trafficking at Seton Hall University School of Law in New Jersey and also specializes in Islamic Legal History. He is currently writing a book, “Islam, Slavery and Empire in the Indian Ocean World.” The views in this article are his alone. By Professor Bernard Freamon […]